Veterans Services

Veteran Services

We are proud to be a part of the Veterans and Family Memorial Care funeral home provider network, providing the best in care for those who served - and for those who loved them. Veterans and Family Memorial Care providers are experts in arranging, directing and coordinating all of the details surrounding the death of a veteran or veteran's family member. 

Please note: The VA does not provide or pay for funeral or cremation arrangements or provide transportation for military honors. 

Free Burial for veterans is available at all VA national cemeteries to any deceased veteran of wartime or peacetime service (other than training) who was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. 
Members of the Reserve and the Army and Air National Guard who die while performing or as a result of performing or as a result of performing active duty for training may also be eligible. FREE BURIAL is also available to an eligible veterans spouse, minor child(ren) and, under certain conditions, to unmarried adult children. 

The basic Military Funeral Honors (MFH) ceremony consists of the folding and presentation of the United States flag to the veterans' family and the playing of Taps. The ceremony is performed by a funeral honors detail consisting of at least two members of the Armed Forces. 

The funeral honors rendered to you or your veteran will be determined by the status of the veteran. The type of funeral honors  may be full military honors, 7 person detail or a Standard Honors Detail Team.

At least one of the funeral honors detail will be from the Armed Force in which the deceased veteran served. Taps may be played by a bugler or, if a bugler is not available, by using a quality recorded version. Military Funeral Honor Teams may act as Pall Bearers if requested by the veteran/family.

Who is Eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  • Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
  • Former military members who served on  active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

Who is not Eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  • Any person separated from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions or whose character of service results in a bar to veteran's benefits.
  • Any person ordered to report an induction station, but was not actually inducted into military service.
  • Any person discharged from the Selected Reserve prior to completing one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service for reasons other than a disability incurred in the line of duty.
  • Any person convicted of a Federal or State capital crime sentenced to death or life imprisonment.
How do I Establish Veteran Eligibility ?

The preferred method is the DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. If the DD form 214 is not available, any discharge document showing other than dishonorable service can be used. The DD Form 214 may be obtained by filling out a Standard Form 180 Sending it to:

National Personal Records Center (NPRC)
9700 Page Blvd.
St Louis MO, 63132

The Standard Form 180 may be obtained from the National Records Center or via the following website:

Veterans Headstones

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant a Government headstone or marker for the unmarked grave of any deceased eligible veteran in any cemetery around the world, regardless of their date of death. For eligible veterans that died on or after Nov 1, 1990, VA may also provide a headstone or marker for graves that are already marked with a private headstone or marker. When the grave is already marked, applicants will have the option to apply for either traditional headstone or marker, or the new medallion. 

Flat markers in granite, marble, and bronze and upright headstones in granite and marble are available to mark columbaria used for inurnment of cremated remains. 

When burial or memorialization is in a national cemetery, or military post/base cemetery, a headstone or marker will be ordered by the cemetery officials based on inscription information provided by the next oif kin or authorized representative. Spouses and dependants are not eligible for a government-furnished headstone or marker unless they are buried in a national cemetery, state veteran's cemetery, or military post/base cemetery. 

Note; There is no charge for the headstone or marker itself, however arrangements for placing it in a private cemetery are the applicant's responsibility and all setting fees are at private expense. 

Share by: